Sunday, September 26, 2010

One Thing One Week Challenge

Amy over there at Amy's Creative Side is hosting her One Thing One Week Challenge again. Last week when she posted about it I committed to doing this:

I”m going to get started on quilting my neice’s cancer quilt. And finalize my projects for the two swaps I have ending soon. Oh maybe I can be superwoman and get it all done?

Yep I can be superwoman I have finished up/gathered up my swap things, and completely finished free motion quilting Rosemarie's quilt!!! I can't believe it either. I have pictures to prove! :)

Scrappy Pincushion Swap - ready to send!

Scrappy Mug Rug Swap

And finally, here's the quilting all done on Rosemarie's Quilt.
As my regular readers have heard, this quilt is a compilation quilt made with blocks from people all over the world. It was organized via a flickr group, and is being made for my niece Rosemarie who is 4 years old and has been battling Neuroblastoma, a form of childhood cancer for the past three years. She's a strong girl and we're hoping and praying for a cure. This month is childhood cancer awareness month, are you aware that each day 7 children die of cancer (yesterday one of them was a cancer crusades friend of my sister's). As you're getting out of bed this morning, the parents of some 40,000 kids are facing yet another day of treatment...of wondering, hoping, and fearing. Will this work? Will there be serious complications if it does?Did I make the right choice? FORTY THOUSAND kids who don't get to be kids today, they have to be cancer warriors instead. For them--conquer childhood cancer.

Today to help conquer childhood cancer, Chili's restaurants are donating every dollar they make to St. Jude's Research Hospital, to research for a cure to childhood cancer. Today Chili's will donate more money to find a cure than the American cancer society will. Will you help them? You've gotta eat right? Go eat at chili's and while your at it, hug your kids.

Gold is the new pink. I wear gold for Rosemarie (she's here in this video, wearing her super girl outfit). She really is my hero, she fights cancer every day.

My daughter, Allie playing with Rosemarie on our recent visit.
**Added to Fabric Tuesday, over at Quitstory. Go check them out - lots of creativity there!!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the video. Beautiful!
    Thanks for reminding folks to hug their kids.
    Michelle Nichols
    Founder, Global Hug Your Kids Day
    www.HugYourKidsToday.com
    mother of Mark, who died of medullablastoma 1998

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have many friends with kids with special needs including medical issues. It's amazing and inspirational to see how children can make such an impact on the world, even in a life that is cut way, way too short.
    That's great that you've finished your wonderful quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thank God every day for the health of my 2 daughters and 2 grandchildren. My heart breaks when I hear of a child battling any disease!

    Rosemarie is going to love her quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing that moving video. As a cancer survivor I know haw devastating cancer can be. It is hard to imagine children suffering what I went through. Please tell your niece I want her to be a butterflygirl with me. I call myself that because after cancer I am spreading my wings and flying. I would like her to fly with me. Could I send you a butterfly to add to her quilt? Please email me an address. cyarnell@mindspring.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You had a productive week! And what a beautiful quilt you've created... all those blocks from all over the world-- that is something truly special. Your niece is going to love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all your projects! Especially the quilt. So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilt is coming together wonderfully. I wish things could be different for Rosemarie....I am so grateful for the health of my kids, and wish every mom could be so fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rosemarie will have the love and prayers from all who contributed to this quilt. ((((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a sweet and special quilt. She's my hero too. Thanks for always sharing your cute projects, hope to see you tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete