Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Fish Baby Quilt - Finished!

I've finally finished this one... it has been a fun little project, but unfortunately one that nearly killed my sewing machine (you can get the whole store here and here.) I followed the tutorial from Sew Mama Sew; it came together perfectly (minus my machine issues). I fell for the quilt as soon as I saw the tutorial - I love square in square blocks! It was really a quick finish if you don't include the down time machine wise, and the fact that I procrastinated with the binding. 

See, I thought I might send this away to a beloved friend (who is -surprise surprise - pregnant all my friends are right?). I think she'd appreciate the colors and the coolness of this quilt, but at the same time I want to make something beautiful and intricate as I know she'd appreciate it. She doesn't know if it's a boy or a girl so these colors work well. But... I've pretty much fallen in love with the quilt, and I don't know that I can give it up. I have no use for it though since it's tiny (about 38" square if I recall correctly). I may keep it just because I love it. We'll see. I'd really like to have a baby to wrap up in it (have I mentioned that before?). lol. 

I am pretty lucky too, since this quilt was nearly free - the top is pieced almost entirely from the FQ bundle I won earlier this year from Michelle at I Like Orange, Too! (thanks Michelle!!!) I've been really lucky in the giveaway department this year! The solids are made by Free Spirit and they're lovely! I am pretty impressed with them.

That's about it... I'm a little too tired to be typing this up tonight... I may revise it tomorrow. 

5 comments:

  1. Emily, I love love love it!! I'm so glad you were able to put thos solids to use (so quickly)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colours and the circular qulting just makes it perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it! i love that tut too! its beautiful! i say keep it and use it as a wallhanging until next baby arrives :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! It's so beautiful and simple. I can see why you would not be willing to give it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I love this! So simple yet really striking. I love the solids.

    ReplyDelete