Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A quick little post.

I do have a newly finished quilt to share... but that will have to wait until I have time to actually formulate a decent post for it! 

Until then I'll show you guys a bit of my progress on another project. Some of the members of the online forums for the Chicago Modern Quilt Guild are having a little mug rug swap. I've been paired up with three different people (thanks to the spreadsheet guru Ebony!). This is not a blind swap - which is weird for me (it's actually my first non-blind swap!). So I can't really share all my progress or sketches etc. or else it'd give it away for my partners! I'll just share a little bit.

A little peek at Rachel's mug rug.
My goal in joining swaps is to pursue something a bit more challenging or different from my normal projects. Mug rugs are great for this since you only really make one block. This time around I'm working on perfecting a block that's troubled me thus far. My attempt this time turned out much better than my previous attempts (I actually read the directions... I hate following directions!). I'm really liking the color palate and it's pretty awesome so far if I do say so. This one is for Rachel.
A little peek at Ebony's mug rug.
Next is a mug rug for Ebony. She's the only one I was partnered up with that I have a better grasp of her likes and dislikes. That makes it easier but also harder. For hers I'm trying to think outside of the box using texture and color. There may just be some tiny piecing going on there too - because I can't keep myself from the tiny. The fabrics thus far for Ebony's mug rug have been chosen mostly for their pattern/shape. I'm really liking it so far but don't know where else I'm going with it.

Finally I have a sketch and a great idea for Terri's mug rug... but I haven't gotten started on it yet. :) More on that later!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE! :) Don't feel you need to resist tiny - I may not do tiny piecing myself but I do appreciate those who can (and have secretly been desirous of some.) :) I love what you've done so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this gentle, creative, and upping-the-ante nudge on the mug rugs!

    ReplyDelete