Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Quilt Dreams


Here's a first look at my Sewing Summit inspired doll quilt! 



This weekend I took free motion quilting (by Allison of Cluck Cluck Sew), improv quilting (by Jess of Urban Patchwork), color theory (by Jeni of In Color Order), and Doll Quilts (by Amanda of Msmcporkchop Quilts).



I left with lots of inspiration and we can all say that Amanda should be the resident motivational speaker for doll quilting! I left thinking, "I need to make a doll quilt now!!" Which, so to say, isn't out of the normal since I love making small quilts anyhow. 


On the plane ride home from Utah the idea for this quilt popped into my mind. I took my improv block from Jess's class, added a bike and some free pieced words (thanks Martingale for making me look again at that hideous book -- I didn't follow the patterns for their letters, but I did glance over when I was stuck on the "m"). I also imployed my free motion quilting -- and attempted that roboty square FMQ style. I'm not very good at it but it was fun. 

Oh and I used my new friend Dana's tutorial for loopy FMQ'd hearts! So now we're even, she used my tiny wonky stars tutorial, and I am completely in love with those loopy hearts! 

In case you're wondering... the title of this post is the name of the quilt. Quilt Dreams... you know, the girl on the bike (me) dreaming of quilts as she's riding! I think I'll rip out the bubble around the "quilt" and re-do it though... it's not round enough! I'm pretty much in love with this little one.

Linking up to Fabric Tuesday over at Quiltstory!

4 comments:

  1. That is absolutely the best SS-inspired quilt! So awesome combining the block you made AT SS and several of the things you learned from classes. I love it! And I wouldn't rip out the bubble unless you totally hate it. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just BEAUTIFUL :) Great job!

    Hey, how'd you get the Flickr bar on ur blog? I need to do that too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like such a fantastic time! hoping to hear about it in person sometime soon! i love the dream quilt!

    ReplyDelete