Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Big City Bags - book tour!

"From Big-City Bags by Sara Lawson, Martingale, 2013; used by permission. Photo by Brent Kane. All rights reserved." 

I'm here today to tell you about how fabulous Sara Lawson's new book is! Don't get me wrong the whole point of a book release blog hop is to get the word out there, but believe me when I tell you this book is amazing!!!

My Meringue Clutch! It's actually photographed in the book! "From Big-City Bags by Sara Lawson, Martingale, 2013; used by permission. Photo by Brent Kane. All rights reserved." 

I can't express how excited I was to be asked to pattern test for Sara's book. She gave us the chance to pick what pattern and what fabric we wanted to use - we gave her our top 5 - and let me say, I would have happily made any of these bags! 

The bag that I made is the Meringue Clutch. It's perfect for day or night and I just love the texture of the gathers across the front! The clutch measures about 8.5" x 11", and it will easily hold your essentials. The instructions for this bag (and for all of Sara's bags) are impeccable - very user friendly with great tips and illustrations throughout. I would consider this to be a good project for the confident beginner - intermediate sewer. Do not fear the interfacing. Interfacing is our friend!

Speaking of interfacing, Big City Bags has an entire section in the front of the book where Sara shares her expertise about the various types and uses of interfacing. I expect that I'll be referencing this section often when I go to buy interfacing!! 

Sara's Meringue Clutch "From Big-City Bags by Sara Lawson, Martingale, 2013; used by permission. Photo by Brent Kane. All rights reserved." 

I'm going to add a side note here. I work at a used bookstore (where I run the arts and crafts section), I've seen a lot of mediocre bag sewing books - full of hideous dumpy looking bags, Big City Bags is the exact opposite of those books - full of beautiful patterns, all the bag-making info you need, and packed with beautiful pictures! Sara's book is the only purse-making book that you'll find on my bookshelf! 

So now that I've told you what I think, it's time for you to take a look for yourself. You can order a signed copy of "Big City Bags" here

1 comment: